Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Hospital Story

We were scheduled to arrive at the hospital at 5:30am on May 23 for the scheduled C-section. The night before when we went to bed I started to wonder if I might be having some contractions. I laid there for a few hours watching the clock and evaluating the pain. Not being an expert on contractions (my water broke with Kai and I had 1 never ending contraction and Rori was scheduled) I finally decided to wake up Lance as I was feeling pretty uncomfortable. After he helped me evaluate for awhile we decided to give Labor and Delivery a call. I was feeling a little silly as we were now just hours away from the scheduled check in, but..... So after a quick chat with them we were told to make our way in ASAP.

We quickly got checked in and set up on a monitor which showed that I was having pretty good contractions pretty regularly. They gave me a shot of something to try and slow it all down to make it to the scheduled 7:30am surgery. It worked some but I was still having pretty hard contractions every 8-10 minutes or so for those last 2 hours. I was a little bummed that I was having to agonize through contractions while waiting for a c-section. That is one of the few benefits of a planned c-section. :) Anyway, we held out until just a little before the the 7:30am scheduled time and Zuri entered the world at 7:39am. Moral of the story seems to be that she was coming on May 23 one way or the other.

The c-section went really well. I felt pretty gross and light headed on the table immediately after the spinal with everything sounding very far away(it was like that with Rori too) but felt ok again after a few minutes. Once again I got a little sick to my stomach hours later after they wheeled me up to the room we would stay in the rest of the stay but it was only then and it was quick. As far as c-sections go this one has probably had the easiest recovery so far which is great.

My parents and Whitney brought the kids to the hospital in the morning and Lance used the signs to tell all of them that it was a baby girl. Kai called Grandma and Grandma Utah just after that to share the news with them and as he was talking to them they walked in the door. They had surprised all of us and made the LONG trip down to meet our new addition. They left mid day the next day but will be coming down again on Monday to spend more time with us. It was an awesome surprise and I am still blown away that they went to all that effort.

That night was Kai's last tee ball game so Kai got to have 3 out of 4 grandparents, Lance, Rori, and Aunt Whitney attend that as well (my Mom stayed with Zuri and I). My parents stayed until Thursday and entertained, fed, loved, did homework and on and on with Kai and Rori. The kids loved it and we were all sad to see them go. Our kids have 2 amazing sets of grandparents!

Zuri is super cute and has a good amount of black hair. We think she looks an awful lot like Kai did when he was a baby. It will be fun to see what happens with the hair color. For weighing so much we don't think she actually looks very big or chubby in person. We haven't seen her next to other brand new babies though. Two other baby girls have been born to friends of ours here in the last few days though so we will get that chance. :)

Overall I think we feel that we had a good hospital experience. It was a nice and newer hospital that isn't very far from our house. One night they brought us a "celebration dinner" of shrimp and steak which was fun. Everyone treated us well. They don't have a nursery which was a little different but worked out fine. With that said though we were super happy to be discharged and sent on our way home.

So here are some more of our other favorite shots from the week:















































3 comments:

jena wise said...

What a great week. You are very loved! I'm so glad this recovery has been ok- of course not easy but hopefully manageable. Funny that she picked her birthday afterall.
Thinking of you guys often- thanks for posting this :). Congratulations again. We love you guys!

Michelle said...

Loved all the pics and Zuri is beautiful! But have to say I loved the one of Rori in Zuri's hospital bed. That totally made me laugh. Hopefully the recovery continues to be good for you - I sooo wish I was there to see her and help you guys out. We miss you!

RachelAA said...

Oh my gosh I have so many comments... One, wow, can't believe you went through all that with the c-section. But such a girl to make sure she had a say as to when her birthday would be. Love it!!! I am glad it worked out well and recovery is going smoothly. I love that picture of Rori in the bed. And seriously I got chills hearing of the grandma and grandpa surprise - how wonderful. And you guys have a build a bear for Zuri - that's so special!!!!!! Love you all!